Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Paleo Challenge: Why am I doing this?

Today starts a 50 day Paleo challenge at my gym, Centerville Crossfit.  I had already started eating "paleo" about 3 weeks prior so I feel like I'm ready for this.  What is Paleo?  Simplest way to explain it:  eat meats, fish, plenty of veggies, some nuts, few fruits, and good fats like avocado and olive oil.  So with the process of elimination right now you should be saying - no dairy or bread or beans or sugar (real or artificial) ?!?!?!?  Yes, kids.  None.

And now you're thinking, oh it's just another low carb diet.  Well, yes and no.  Yes it is low in carbohydrates.  But no, it's not the standard low carb diet.  Why?  Because these foods aren't just removed because of their carbohydrates.  They are removed because of what the food itself does to your body.  For more information check out Robb Wolf's website, http://robbwolf.com/.  And definitely read his book, "The Paleo Solution".

Let's get back to the good stuff.... why did I choose to do this?  If you know me well, you know that in the fall of 2008 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.  It is much like Crohn's disease which effects a person's digestive system.  When having a flair up a person with UC knows exactly where every restroom is located within seconds of walking into a building.  I was put on medication at the phenomenally valued price of $180 per month.  (and that's with sucky insurance)  I was also told to eat plenty of fiber and beans.  (This now makes me laugh)

One year later my appendix burst and I had my first appendectomy.  Six months later I was diagnosed with Endometriosis.  I had my first endo surgery done which removed a lot of the endo, but I was told it would never fully be gone and would continue to grow.  Guess what?  Six months later, due to extreme pain, I had another surgery.  And when I say pain, I'm talking the kind that wakes you up at night because you're pretty sure something is cutting you with a knife in your abdomen area.  This time a cyst the size of a grapefruit was removed.... along with an ovary.  sniffle sniffle...   Ok, ok, life goes on.... suck it up!

So for two years I was in and out of doctor's offices on a weekly basis and was able to rack up 3 surgeries.  Literally.  I was determined to make 2011 a year of positive changes.  First I started working out.  Then I read "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf.  Hey, wouldn't you know it.... he has/had Ulcerative Colitis too!  After just three weeks of changing my eating habits I have had ZERO digestive issues.  I have taken ZERO medications for either disease.  And I feel fantastic!!  A friend over the weekend said to me, "Your face is glowing like a pregnant woman."  (And I am 100% NOT prego!!)  So if you are reading this, why not give it 30 days and see if it makes a change to your life the way it has mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment